UN Women hiring a Regional Communication Specialist
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security.
UN WOMEN West & Central Africa Regional Office has been supporting multi initiatives through programming, global advocacy and building strategic partners with national governments, civil society, UN agencies, and other bilateral and multilateral development organizations. In this process, UN WOMEN WCARO has contributed to building interest, capacity, and commitment to integrating Gender issues processes in the West and Central Region. UN WOMEN Regional and country offices are supporting a number of other initiatives at regional, Regional at country levels and there is a need for visibility.
Under the supervision of the Regional Director, in close collaboration with UN Women’s field-based presences and relevant HQ units, the Communications Specialist is responsible for developing strategic communications and media initiatives and managing media/press coverage and oversees the production of a range of communications materials for UN Women, including for the UN Women Regional Office website, and for online and offline audiences. S/he is responsible for timely, accurate and high-quality informational materials, such as press releases & media advisories, news briefs, fact sheets, stories from the field, etc. for media outreach, the UN Women website, and inclusion in informational kits for further public outreach.
The Communications Specialist will collaborate closely with the Headquarters, Regional, Multi-Country Office and Country Offices’ (RO/MCO/CO) colleagues to ensure communications strategies, media relations and organizational outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications policies and initiatives. S/he also collaborates with RO/MCO and CO colleagues to support outreach campaigns, resource mobilization and donor relations initiatives; s/he mobilizes support in conjunction with intergovernmental processes, and support the activities and special events organized for UN Women.
The results have a substantial impact on the effectiveness of UN Women’s regional communications and outreach efforts, enhancing the visibility, raising awareness and understanding of UN Women and its mission with the media and among the general public, building and maintaining supportive constituencies and leading to enhanced political and financial support for UN Women and its strategic areas, thus helping ensure UN Women achieves its strategic goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage UN Women media/press relations ·
- Media/communication strategies conceived, planned and implemented in line with corporate guidelines to enhance the positioning of UN Women with the media, with a special focus on regional priority areas of concern.
- Opportunities for press conferences identified and press conferences organized; interviews with senior managers facilitated.
- Press releases and media kits drafted.
- Clear, consistent and timely responses to media inquiries; issuance of statement and corporate positions to media and other external audiences.
- Maintained and expanded contacts with regional media; topics, background information, news-related developments and coverage of interest to each identified.
Oversee and maintain regional online outreach and produces information materials for public outreach ·
- Oversees regional web site technical and editorially and coordinates the web presence of multi-country and COs in the region and in line with the corporate web policy.
- Oversees and manages regional social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy or provides inputs to corporate social media accounts.
- Draft brochures, fact sheets, stories from the field to inform media and the general public.
- Video producers hired and supervised to produce relevant video material on UN Women’s work.
- Effective channels for dissemination of all information products to relevant target audiences identified and distribution supervised.
- Development and maintenance of close contacts with government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector for resource mobilization and implementation of the communications strategy.
- Supporting CO’s and MCO’s with formatting and editing of program initiatives and reports for donor review.
Provide advice and support to UN Women special events and campaigns ·
- Communications components of UN Women and/or UN campaigns, implemented, e.g. Say NO to Violence against Women campaign; UNite campaign.
- Special events or UN Women inputs to special events conceptualized and organized with a view to reaching wider audiences; to that end, concepts conceived and relevant materials developed and compiled.
Liaise closely with UN Women Communications Team at HQ to feed regional/national initiatives into corporate communications initiatives and vice versa. Coordinate communication activities with UN communication colleagues at regional /national level ·
- Regular consultation with HQ Communications Section to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives.
- Feedback to HQ communications team provided with a view to coordinate communications initiatives: informs about regional /national activities, provides comments on and inputs for corporate initiatives seeks advice and support.
- Regular contributions to and advice provided on UN Women corporate materials, e.g. corporate web site, illustrated Annual Report, video productions, etc. to highlight regional/national initiatives and ensure visibility at the corporate/international level.
- Regular liaison with Communications Officers from other UN entities at the regional / country level to provide UN Women inputs to joint UN initiatives; to that end, represented UN Women on the UN Communications Group.
Build communications partnerships and media alliances ·
- Identifies and develops new communications partnerships and media alliances to enhance the visibility and cement UN Women as a thought-leader; manages and nurtures existing partnerships.
- Identifies innovative opportunities and new communications tools and platforms which can serve to highlight the work of UN Women.
- Guides and collaborates closely with MCO/CO communications officers to advance regional and national communications partnerships.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Excellent communication skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach
- Proven networking skills, and the ability to generate interest in UN Women’s mandate
- Strong initiative-taker ·
- Very effective at multi-tasking
- Focuses on impact and results for the client
- Interacts effectively with all levels of the organization, including senior management
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong relationships with clients and partners
- Demonstrates exceptional ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced degree in communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences, international relations, or a related field.
A minimum of 5 years experience (post-Masters) in communications at the national or international level, including experience in media relations. Experience in online outreach and multimedia an asset. Experience working in large development agency also pertinent. Good IT skills, including databases and office software packages. Familiarity with gender issues. Familiarity with UN Women and UN system is an asset. Outstanding oral and written communications and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines.
Fluency in French and English (written and oral) Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Application deadline: 2020-03-15
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter ce lien: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_apply.cfm?cur_job_id=90407
Laisser un commentaire