The UNHCR is hiring a Project control Associate.
This position is open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
General Service Staff members currently serving in the country where the vacancy exists, who have been appointed through the AC process and have indefinite or Fixed Term appointment. Interested staff members should consult the RALS.
External candidates must be legally present in Senegal at the time of application, recruitment and hire.
Duties and Qualifications
The primary functions of project control are to complement programme management and provide support for oversight of projects including the formulation of a monitoring plan, quality assurance, and verification. Other activities of project control include: review of project agreements, project audit, monitoring that there is synchrony between financial and operational performance, participation in multi-functional monitoring activities and reviews, tracking project risk management, and supporting project closure.
It is essential to maintain segregation of duties between project control and programme functions for effective accountability and oversight. Where there is no Project Control Officer, General Service staff performing project control functions should report directly to the Head of Office.
The Project Control Associate receives general guidance and work plans from the supervisor. They work independently on regular assignments under the supervision of the Project Control Officer or to the same management level as programme. The incumbent may supervise other general service staff.
Project Control staff play a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and often interact with implementing partners. As a result, incumbents need to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
- Quality assurance of project agreements is provided in accordance with applicable UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Resources transferred to implementing partners are utilized for the intended purposes and in accordance with project agreements.
- Performance delivery and financial expenditure reported by implementing partners are accurate and consistent.
- Supervisors are promptly informed of risks and major variances in the execution of projects (budgets, finance, implementation or timeframe).
- Contribute to reviewing the internal control systems of implementing partners.
- Contribute to reviewing that IP agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Monitor that a complete record is maintained for all projects.
- Contribute to reviewing, analyzing and verifying Financial and Performance Implementing Partner Reports (Part I-IPFR and Part II-IPR), and to checking accuracy and consistency between IPFR and IPR, in accordance with project agreements.
- Ensure that the funds obligated under an IP agreement permit the payment of the next installment or a disbursement, confirming the status of installments already paid.
- Support timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Bring to the attention of supervisors and programme officers any significant variances at the office level in: budget execution, percentage of project execution, time schedule, and quality of projects against specifications or terms and conditions.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Escalate IP issues to supervisors.
- Recommend acceptance or non-acceptance of IPRs and payment of instalments.
- Contact implementing partners for project related matters.
- Have unlimited access to financial and operational records relating to projects.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
- Secondary education, together with training/certificate in Accounting, Auditing, Business Administration, Finance, Project Management or related field.
- Minimum six years of previous job experience in the field of accounting/finance, auditing, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of UN working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
Desirable qualifications & competencies
- Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
- Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
- Working experience with ERP financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, Oracle or SAP).
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
The region has French speaking and English-speaking countries. Full proficiency in French and Intermediate level in English is thus mandatory. The incumbent of the position must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing in both languages.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
In case of queries please contact email@example.com
The Closing date for submissions or applications is 30 November 2021. (At 22H00 Dakar Time.