International Organization for Migration (IOM) hiring a Senior Finance Assistant – Dakar, Senegal.
This offer is Open to both internal and external candidates.
- Position Title : Senior Finance Assistant
- Duty Station : Dakar, (Senegal)
- Category : General Service, Grade G6/1
- Type of appointment : One Year Fixed Term (Possibility of extension)
- Closing date : April 15th, 2020
- Estimate start date : As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
The EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (EU-IOM Joint Initiative) supports the efforts of African partner countries along the Central Mediterranean migration routes to strengthen migration governance and respond to urgent protection needs of migrants. The Initiative implements projects in 14 countries alongside a regional component: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Ghana, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, The Gambia, and Libya. The main areas of activity include: (i) increasing protection and assistance for vulnerable and stranded migrants; (ii) facilitating voluntary return; (iii) achieving sustainable reintegration; (iv)enhancing government and stakeholder policies and responses; (v) giving access to accurate information; and (vi) improving data on migration flows, routes and trends as well as migrants’ needs and vulnerabilities.
In this context, the IOM Country Office in Senegal is recruiting a finance assistant capable of providing support to the finance unit for all financial and administrative aspect of the project.
Under the overall supervision of Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of Finance Officer, the Senior Finance Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide procedural guidance to managers and staff; supervise, guide and train other finance support staff;
- Manage financial resources through monitoring and controlling assets, reserves, funds, supplies, etc. in accordance with IOM rules and regulations;
- Provide specialized advice and support to Project Managers and/or Chief of Missions/Head of Office/Head of Sub-office on financial and administrative matters;
- Provide specialized support preparing annual budget submission and revisions including estimating the cost of staff as well as rental and utilities, office equipment and supplies, printing, and other contracts, services or running expenses;
- Assist in monitoring compliance with financial policies, procedures, rules and regulations;
- Consolidate data into financial statements and assist in monitoring expenditures to ensure they remain within authorized levels;
- Provide regular and ad hoc financial information to support informed financial decision making;
- Assist monitoring that bank reconciliations for IOM accounts are regularly performed and reviewed by designated stakeholders;
- Manage and prepare the payroll by executing validity checks on monthly payroll results;
- Ensure that disbursements are made based on proper authorizations and supported by legitimate and sufficient documentation;
- Provide assistance responding to audit queries and follow up on audit recommendations;
- Review the status and monitor the proper maintenance of Vendor Accounts in accounting system;
- Verify vendor claims for accuracy and conformance with IOM finance policies and instructions;
- Assist in the preparation of budget, accounting, financial, statistical reports and other reports as required; and,
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Experience
- High school degree/certificate in accounting, finance, project management, or administration with minimum six years of relevant work experience or
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution with minimum four years of relevant work experience.
- Previous working experience in Finance, Accounting,
- Proven knowledge in Microsoft office tools
- Proven experience using SAP financial tools
- Capacities to work autonomously,
- Supervise and lead a team
- Fluent in French and English are required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to: email@example.com referring to this advertisement in the subject: “VN-CO-011-2020 and complete name”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter in a unique file.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.