IOM hiring an Awareness Raising Assistant in Senegal.
- Position Title : Awareness Raising Assistant
- Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal (Regional Office for West and Central Africa)
- Classification : General Service Staff
- Grade G5 Type of Appointment : Temporary, 9 months with possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date : A soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, human trafficking and other exploitative practices along the route are heavily affecting migrants during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean. To meet these challenges IOM, with support from the European Union (EU), has developed targeted interventions in 13 countries in West and Central Africa (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and The Gambia) to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help in improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach.
This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, provision of direct assistance through search and rescue support, identification, referral and direct assistance to vulnerable migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
A high number of migrants crossing the sea towards Europe consists of nationals from the 13 West and Central African Countries under the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration (Hereinafter: Joint Initiative). Public information on the achievement and harmonized communications of the Initiative are key in order to ensure governments, donors and public awareness. In addition, Communication for Development (C4D) plays a critical role in making the goals of the Joint Initiative a reality as provision of migration services alone is insufficient in addressing people’s information needs, but also –and especially- attitudes and practices on migration.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Programme Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Regional Awareness Raising Officer, the successful candidate will support with the reporting and the evaluation of awareness raising activities in the 13 countries of the Joint Initiative, and assist the regional awareness raising unit with administrative tasks.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the reporting efforts of the IOM’s offices in the West and Central Africa region for the timely collection and dissemination of information about IOM’s activities in the region;
- Assist the Regional Awareness Raising Officer in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of all the activities directly managed by the Regional Office;
- Support the monitoring and evaluation (by dedicated M&E Officers, in coordination with the Regional M&E Officers) of awareness raising campaigns and activities in the region;
- Collect data and draft monthly, annual and final reports on the awareness raising activities under the Joint Initiative in coordination with the Joint Initiative Reporting Officer;
- Coordinate with IOM’s Regional Offices and IOM’s Headquarters for the timely and accurate reporting of awareness raising activities in the region;
- Support the internal communication and information sharing between IOM awareness raising staff in the region through the regular update of the SharePoint;
- Provide administrative support to the Regional Awareness Raising Unit (including regional events), in coordination with travel, procurement, admin and finance units;
- Undertake duty travel to Joint Initiative countries, if needed;
- Perform other such duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Political Sciences, Journalism, Communication or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed high school degree, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in awareness raising and communication for development (C4D);
- Experience in reporting on development programs with an international scope;
- Working experience in a UN Agency or International NGO is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of migration issues and of the West and Central Africa region;
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English and French;
- Computer/software literate: sound knowledge of the Microsoft Office applications;
- Knowledge of graphic design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and with experience of maintaining a website using the Drupal CMS platform is an advantage.
Languages Fluency in French and English is required (oral and written).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in Senegal will be considered. A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, and work permit, as applicable.
Application deadline: 15 Apr 2020
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org