This is a volunteer role onboard the Africa Mercy, a hospital ship, currently serving in Dakar, Senegal.
Summary: Responsible to act as Senior Watchkeeping Officer or Duty Engineer as per schedule as well as being involved in regular Engine Room maintenance.
The maritime volunteers onboard the Africa Mercy are a vital part of making it possible to bring hope and healing to the people of Africa. If you have spent your career on the sea and want to use those skills to make a positive change in the lives of others, our ship could be your next great adventure!
The Third Engineer volunteer position, part of the Engineering department, will be located on the Africa Mercy, the world’s largest non-governmental hospital ship. The preferred minimum commitment for this role is two years, though shorter commitments will also be considered.
- Certificate of Competency in accordance with STCW A-III/1
- recognized by Malta
- at least 12 months of sea time as Officer of Engineering Watch
- Valid Security Awareness certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/6
- Valid Basic Training certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/1 1-4
- Valid Crowd Management certificate in accordance with STCW A-V/2-1
- Valid Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/2
- Valid Advanced Firefighting certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/3
- Valid Medical First Aid certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/4-1
- Valid Malta Flag State Endorsement (can be obtained onboard)
- Valid I/9 Medical Certificate (can be obtained onboard)
- Ability to speak and understand English effectively
Questions about this information? Send us an email! Our recruiter would love to answer any questions you may have. You can reach Ali Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org.